The Incident Management software module is a cornerstone of Swiesh’s Safety Suite. Developed and enhanced by safety professionals with field experience, it is powerful incident software that enables organizations to collect comprehensive incident data, create an accurate picture of the event, identify root causes and learning points, implement corrective actions, and ensure proper incident notification up the chain of command.
The term “accident” can be defined as an unplanned event that interrupts the completion of an activity, and that may (or may not) include injury or property damage. An incident usually refers to an unexpected event that did not cause injury or damage this time but had the potential. “Near miss” or “dangerous occurrence” are also terms for an event that could have caused harm but did not.
Reasons to investigate a workplace accident:
- most importantly, to find out the cause of accidents and to prevent similar accidents in the future
- to fulfill any legal requirements
- to determine the cost of an accident
- to determine compliance with applicable safety regulations
- to process workers’ compensation claims
Key Benefits of the Incident Management Software Module:
This module will enable organizations to:
- Streamline incident reporting and investigation workflow and build a consistent process across sites, business units, and/or countries.
- Improve and accelerate information sharing between medical staff, case managers, safety professionals, supervisors, and managers.
- Promote data integrity and regulatory compliance with complete, comprehensive, accurate, and secure incident reports and investigations.
- Leverage preventive action software tools to prevent similar incidents from happening again.
- Use Swiesh’s tools to track safety performance and identify root causes, risks, hazards, and trends so you can prioritize efforts and make impact ful changes.
- Streamline claims management with auto-generation of regulatory forms and logs.
- Support adherence to safety management system standards.
Incident Management Metrics:
Swiesh’s comprehensive reporting tools will empower you with meaningful data. You’ll be able to analyze incident data, track safety performance, and identify trends, hazards, and root causes.
- Provides three powerful, incident reporting options that enable you to visualize your progress and performance:
Flexible canned reports that allow you to run common H&S metrics with multiple filtering options:
- A robust Report Writer for generating simple or complex reports on any data in the system
- A versatile Data Cube that offers drag and drop functionality and allows you to see multi-dimensional metrics with limitless possibilities
- Allows you to post your most important reports to your safety dashboard.
This module includes many invaluable features that will help you quickly and effectively realize the benefits described above. The features fall into 6 groups:
Incident Reporting and Notification
- Swiesh’s incident software captures data for any type of safety event:
- Incidents resulting in injury or illness
- Property damage
- Any other type of loss or event that your company wishes to capture
- You can begin the incident workflow from several modules within the Swiesh system:
- Event reporting (an employee or supervisor reports an event)
- Clinic visit (an employee visits the medical clinic because he/she is sick or injured)
- Audiometric testing (the clinic has identified hearing loss)
- Body fluid exposures (the clinic has identified an exposure)
- Case management
- Within the Incident Management module itself (for companies not using event reporting or for non-injury/illness events)
- The incident investigation workflow can be automatically started upon submission of an incident.
- Automatically notify any and all relevant parties (H&S staff, managers, etc) once an incident report has been filed
- Send incident summary reports to any designated parties within the organization
- Simplify regulatory form completion with with auto-population of pertinent incident data. Standard forms include (but aren’t limited to) the employers’ first report of injury for any state or province (e.g., Form 7) and federal forms such as the OSHA 301 log in the U.S. and the RIDDOR form in the U.K.
Data Collection and Investigation:
- Collect various incident data and consolidate in one main incident record, Witness statements and contact information and photos of the scene or incident
- Any documents related to the event
- Data collected using company-specific questionnaires/checklists
- Attach any and all related event reports that have been filed by employees using the reporting
- View risk assessments relating to the incident in order to gather valuable lessons-learned data for the job in question within the incident record
- Classify/categorize the incident according to your standards with numerous user-defined fields
- Configure and follow an investigation completion and approval workflow according to your company process
Root Cause Analysis:
- Use a decision tree model for easy visualization of ‘5 Why’ root cause analysis. With this non-linear method of root cause analysis, you can:
- Track multiple reasons and sub-reasons as to why the event may have occurred
- Select the most fitting underlying cause to include on the incident record
- Once you are satisfied with the data you’ve collected, you can begin the approval process; your decision tree will be stored on the record for future review if needed.
Investigation Approvals and Corrective Action Tracking:
- Streamline incident approval workflow and action assignment, ensuring that the incident approval process is complete and accurate.
- Trigger an automated investigation workflow/approval escalation process that moves through the appropriate chain of command for the employee(s) involved.
- Automatically generate and send assignment emails containing pertinent incident information and a standalone link that allows the assignee to access and update the incident record.
- Configure reminders to run at different frequencies before and after the activity due date.
- Maintain a history of incident approvals/rejections along with approver comments.
- Seamlessly connect actions to findings, using preventive action software to automatically trigger your action workflow when a specified finding is recorded.
- Manage incident and other safety-related findings and actions in the Swiesh safety suite for quick access to all active actions.