Control of Substances Hazardous to Health(COSHH)
The COSHH module within Swiesh’s Safety software Suite enables organizations to ensure compliance to COSHH requirements. This flexible and robust module is a one-stop shop to identify hazards, perform risk assessments, track controls, ensure compliance, and ultimately mitigate exposures to hazardous substances.
Key Benefits of the COSHH Module:
The COSHH module will enable you to:
- Record and manage all COSHH-specific risk assessments
- Effectively evaluate risks to health and decide on appropriate mitigating measures
- Track and evaluate the impact of controls
- Track and trend changes in risk to jobs over time
- Promote effective ‘Management of Change’ for COSHH-specific actions by creating an automatic link between risk change and actions.
What is COSHH?
COSHH is the standard that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health. You can prevent or reduce workers exposure to hazardous substances by:
- finding out what the health hazards are;
- deciding how to prevent harm to health ( Risk assessment);
- providing control measures to reduce harm to health;
- making sure they are used ;
- keeping all control measures in good working order;
- providing information, instruction and training for employees and others;
- providing monitoring and health surveillance in appropriate cases;
- planning for emergencies.
Most businesses use substances, or products that are mixtures of substances. Some processes create substances. These could cause harm to employees, contractors and other people.
Sometimes substances are easily recognised as harmful. Common substances such as paint, bleach or dust from natural materials may also be harmful.
Chemical safety data sheets:
Safety data sheets provide information on chemical products that help users of those chemicals to make a risk assessment. They describe the hazards the chemical presents, and give information on handling, storage and emergency measures in case of accident.
Safety data sheet information may lead to guidance appropriate for your task. COSHH essentials is a web tool that advises employers on good control practice.
A safety data sheet is not a risk assessment. You should use the information it contains to help make your own assessment.
As well as receiving chemicals you may supply them to others. If you do, you must pass on information (as safety data sheets) to those whom you supply.